The 55th Illinois Infantry Regiment

The 55th Illinois Infantry monument at Vicksburg.

The 55th Illinois Infantry monument at Vicksburg.

The 55th Illinois Infantry regiment was organized at Camp Douglas, Chicago.  Mustering into service on October 31, 1861, it would move to Benton Barracks, MO, where it would remain through January 12, 1862.  Moving, to Paducah, KY, on January 12, it would be part of the 2nd Brigade, Fifth Division, of the Army of Tennessee.  The 55th would see its first action at the Battle of Shiloh.

Originally commanded by David Stuart, it would later be commanded by Oscar Malmborg.

Besides fighting at Shiloh, the 55th Illinois would participate in many other battles:

• Corinth
  • Chickasaw Bayou
  • Arkansas Post
  • Champion’s Hill
  • Vicksburg
  • Chattanooga
  • Sherman’s March to the Sea
  • Sherman’s Carolina Campaign

The 55th Illinois would suffer a total of 286 casualties during the course of the Civil War.  It would be mustered out of service on August 14, 1865.

About Michael Noirot

I grew up in the Central Illinois farming community, of Dunlap. Growing up, I played sports, tinkered with cars and enjoyed photography. While I did well in school, I did not become passionate about history until my early 30's. I have built a large library, of books on early America, politics and the Civil War. I am an avid reader. Fortunately, I have had plenty of opportunities to travel, over the years, and have been to most of the Civil War battlefields. I work while I travel, so more often than not, I am up, in the middle of the night, to get sunrise pictures, or I will be out until well after dark, exploring Civil War battlefields. I have other hobbies, and passions, that I really enjoy. Number one on the list would be guitar. I play my guitars on a regular basis, and enjoy the Bluegrass, and Contemporary Christian (CCM) genres. I play a style of guitar, called FLATPICKING, where using a flat pick, you play lead solos, similar to the way a fiddle would have been played during the 19th and early 20th Centuries. Laura, my wife, and I also enjoy scuba diving, travel and spending time at our property, in the country. Lastly, we spend as much time with our families, as possible. Thanks for stopping by.
This entry was posted in Infantry Regiments, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The 55th Illinois Infantry Regiment

1. John Froemke says:

My relative’s name was Peter Heitler was in the 55th Illinois Regiment Infantry and received a Medical Discharge as a Seargant after the Battle of Shiloh, during which he was in the hospital with consumption (TB).

2. John,
    Thank you for your comment. I appreciate you reading my blog.

3. Joshua Price says:

hi,
    i am currently researching the confederate right at shiloh….and the 55th Illinois was engaged heavily here.
    if you have any documents (diary entries, etc.) from the soldiers who fought there concerning the fight, please advise on how to obtain them.
    i am in n.e. alabama and am not familiar with researching “yankee” regiments ;)
    thanks alot.
    jp

4. Dylan Linderman says:

Dear Mr. Noirot,

I am doing a research project for a guy named John W. Cadwallader. He served in the the 55th during the civil war and fought in Shiloh and the Siege of Vicksburg. I was just wondering if you have anything from dairies or maybe some letters from soldiers specifically from my guy if you can. My project is due on May 17, I am currently putting finishing touches on it and any information you may have would help to complete it.

Thanks for your help,
    Dylan Linderman

5. Dylan,
    Thank you for contacting me. I would not have any letters from him. Have you checked the OR for this?

6. Edith Hook says:

Any idea in which of the tetrads “I” company of the Illinois 55th would have been, on the March to the Sea? Or, what their function was; bummers, foragers, teamsters?
    Is it safe to assume most recruits would have spoken English?

7. Edith,
    The 55th Illinois Volunteers was part of Major General William Babcock Hazen’s Second Division of the XV Corps during the March to the Sea. They were part of the Right Wing. I’m not sure of there exact function but they were involved in the action at Griswoldville.

8. Edith Hook says:

Thank you. I can’t even imagine what it must have been like for a seventeen year old, first generation American from Chicago, to witness the Burning of Atlanta, the March to the Sea, or the victory parade in Washington DC.

9. Linda Spangler says:

My great grandfather was George W. Hutchins and was wounded at Shiloh but don’t have any more info. He was in the 55th infantry from IL. We know he finally made it back to his hometown, but how can I find more info after being wounded? Thanks for any help.

10. Linda,
    Have you searched for George Hutchins on ancestry.com?

11. Brian Simcoe says:

My great, great grandfather Jacob Simcox, was a Cpl in D co 55th Ill. He was wounded (shot in the buttox) but, I can’t find where (which battle) the injury occured. Would you have any information, or point me in the direction of the information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Brian Simcoe

12. Brian Simcoe says:

Correction, Jacob Simcox was in C co 55th Ill.